In 1957 an offer of a large site at Caves Beach for a primary school was accepted but in 1958, Mr Mawson offered more land cheaply if a high school were to be located at Caves Beach. In 1960 it was finally decided to site a high school where the original primary school had been planned. In July 1963 clearing of the site began.The first buildings were ready for occupation by the beginning of the 1964 school year.
The first Swansea High students actually began high school at Belmont High: Swansea High School at Belmont. Swansea High was finally officially opened on October 1st, 1965 by the Hon. C.B. Cutler, Deputy Premier and Minister for Education and Science.